"UPTON MAGNA, a parish in the Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, county Salop, 5 miles E. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It has stations on the Shrewsbury section of the Great Western and the Shropshire Union branch of the London and North-Western railways. The village is situated near the Shrewsbury canal and river Severn. Coal and limestone are found and worked. A hill at one end of the parish is occupied by rabbit warren and sheepwalks. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £546. The church, dedicated to St. John or St. Lucia, is an ancient edifice, containing an old pulpit of carved oak, and to the reading-desk is chained Bishop Jewel's "Defence of the Apology," &c. There is also the district church of Withington, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £190. The parochial charities produce about £15 per, annum."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the UptonMagna parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the UptonMagna parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upton Magna to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Upton Magna has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ553124 (Lat/Lon: 52.707409, -2.663025), Upton Magna which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)