Whitchurch

Primary tabs

"WHITCHURCH, a parish and market town, partly in the hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, but chiefly in the Whitchurch division of North Bradford hundred, county Salop, 11 miles N.W. of Market-Drayton, 19 N.E. of Shrewsbury, and 20 S.W. of Chester. It has stations on the Cambrian and on the Crewe and Shrewsbury branch of the London and North-Western railways, and has water communication by means of a branch of the Ellesmere canal. In ancient times it was called Album Monasterium, or Blancminster, probably from an hospital founded in the reign of Henry II., and bad an ancient castle near the mill. The parish includes, besides the town of its own name, the parochial districts of Ash and Tilstock, the village of Wirswall, and 14 townships It is situated on the borders of Wales, from which it is separated by a stream called the Red Brook, and has three small lakes, called Osmere, Blackmere, and Brown Moss-water. The site of the town is on the old road from London to Chester. It contains the townhall, in the High-street, where a county court is held monthly; a savings-bank, two commercial banks, the National Provincial, and Whitchurch and Ellesmere; a police station, inland revenue office, news-room, union workhouse, enlarged in 1855; working men's club, young men's institution, several insurance agencies and gasworks. The town has recently been much improved by the completion of the sewerage works. There are several breweries and maltings, an iron foundry and machine factory. The boot and shoe trade, formerly the staple, has much declined, but considerable business is done in malt, hops, and agricultural produce. The population of the parish in 1861 was 6,093, and of the town 3,704. The local government is administered by a high steward, appointed by the Earl of Brownlow, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £1,000. The church, dedicated to St. Alkmund, was rebuilt in 1713 on the site of an ancient Gothic edifice, and contains several monuments of the Earls of Shrewsbury, including an effigy in stone of John Talbot, first Earl of Shrewsbury, and Marshal of France in the reign of Henry VI., surnamed the English Achilles, who was slain in France in 1453. At Dodington is a chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Catherine, and at Ash and Tilstock are district churches. The free grammar school, founded by Sir John Talbot in 1550, and rebuilt in 1849, has an income from endowment of £500. There are also several National, infant, and mixed schools in various parts of the parish. The parochial charities produce above £1,000 per annum, including the school endowment and Higginson's bequest of £220 for the support of 6 almshouses. Whitchurch is a polling place for the county elections and a petty sessions town; it is also the seat of a new County Court and of a Poor-law Union. Courts leet and baron are held in October at the townhall by the lord of the manor. Market day is on Friday. Fairs are held on the second Friday in April, Monday in Whitsun week, Friday after 2nd August, and 28th October."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Whitchurch area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Whitchurch which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " ALKINGTON, a township in the parish of Whitchurch and hundred of Bradford, in county Shropshire, 2 miles to the S.W. of Whitchurch. The Ellesmere canal passes near the township"
  • " ASH MAGNA, (and Ash Parva) townships in the parish of Whitchurch, and hundred of Bradford (North), in the county of Salop, 2 miles to the S.E. of Whitchurch, 9 N.W. of Market Drayton, and 15 from Crewe railway station. The village of Ash Magna is situated on the road from Whitchurch to Market Drayton. The church of Our Saviour is a neat brick and stone building, erected in 1836. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £140, in the patronage of the rector of Whitchurch. There is a national school. Ash House and Ash Grove are the principal residences.
  • " BROUGHALL, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 2 miles from Whitchurch."
  • " BUBNEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Whitchurch, hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 1 mile from Whitchurch. The Ellesmere canal passes rear it."
  • " CHINNELL, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, in the county of Salop, 2 miles N. of Whitchurch."
  • " DODINGTON, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of Bradford, in the county of Salop, 0¼ mile S. of Whitchurch."
  • " EDGELEY, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, county Salop. It is in the vicinity of the town of Whitchurch."
  • " GRINDLEY BROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, half a mile N. of Whitchurch, of which it is a suburb, and where the National schools for the parish are situated. The Shropshire canal passes in the vicinity."
  • " HINTON, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 1 mile N.E. of Whitchurch."
  • " HOLLYHURST, a township in the parish of Whitchurch, county Salop, 2 miles from Whitchurch."
  • " NEW and OLD WOODHOUSES, townships in the parish of Whitchurch, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Whitchurch. They are chiefly the property of Earl Brownlow and Viscount Combermere, who are lords of the manors.
  • " TILSTOCK, a chapelry in the parish of Whitchurch, county Salop, 2 miles S. of Whitchurch, its post town, and 7 from Wem. The village is situated on the road from Chester to Shrewsbury, and near the Ellesmere and Chester canal. The chapelry comprehends Whitchurch and Prees heaths, or common, crossed by the road from London to Birmingham. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Whitchurch. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, was rebuilt in 1834, by a bequest of Francis Earl of Bridgewater. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels, and there is a National School for both sexes."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitchurch to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Whitchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup