Worthen

Primary tabs

"WORTHEN, a parish partly in the hundred of Cawrse, county Montgomery, but chiefly in the hundreds of Chirbury and Ford, county Salop, 12 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, 11 from Welshpool, and 9 from Montgomery. The parish comprises the chapelries of Trelystan and Hope, the quarters of Bing-Weston, Bromblow, Upper Heath, and Worthin, and 15 other townships The village, which was formerly a market-town, under charter of Henry III., is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery near the river Rea and the Stipperstones, a ridge of loose stones extending several miles towards Shrewsbury, and said to be the ancient boundary between England and Wales. There are lead mines in the parish, also grit and gravel pits, and the manufacture of flannel is carried on to a small extent. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £1,424 9s. 7d., in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was partially restored in 1849, and contains a monument to Dr. D. Pryce, chaplain to Charles I. There are also churches at Trelystan in Montgomeryshire, and at Hope in Salop, the livings of both being perpetual curacies There are National schools in various parts of the parish; those at Worthin were erected in 1850. The charities produce about £55 per annum. In this parish are a circular mound called "The Beacon Ring," and several barrows scattered about."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Worthen area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

  • Rhosgoch Township; Population; 26 males, 20 females, total 46
  • No returns
  • Trelystan Township; Population; 53 males, 42 females, total 95
  • Church of the Chapelry of Wolstonmine or Trelystan                 Attendance - average - morning 86 + 6 scholars             "The Church is on a mountain and remote from the inhabitants. The Sunday scholars attend the Leighton Schoolroom Episcopal Chapel where more parishioners reside"               Edward Green, Stipendary Curate
  • Leighton Township; Area 1870 acres; Population 177 males, 120 females, total 297
  • Leighton Schoolroom Episcopal Chapel               Attendance - afternoon 30 + 26 scholars        "Duty taken by the Curate of the Parish without extra or any endowment"               Edward Dyer Green, Minister
  • Primitive Methodists              Preaching in a house occupied by a family               Attendance - evening 24        James Barnes, Minister, Newtown
topup

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Worthen provided by Mel Lockie.
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Worthen which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " ASTON PIGOTT, a township in the parish of Worthen, and hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 10 miles to the S.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Rhed runs near the township."
  • " ASTON ROGERS, a township in the parish of Worthen, and hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 9 miles to the S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " BING-WESTON, a quarter in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 2 miles to the W. of Worthen."
  • " BROCKTON, a township in the parish of Worthen, and hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 9 miles to the N. of Bishop's Castle."
  • " BROMLOW, a township in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the N. of Bishop's Castle.
  • " BYNWESTON, a township in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N.E. of Montgomery."
  • " GRIMMER, a township in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Chirbury, county Salop, 1 mile S.E. of Worthen, and 9 N.W. of Church-Stretton. The Marquis of Bath is lord of the manor."
  • " HABBERLEY OFFICE, a township in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 9 miles S. W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " HAYES, a township in the parish of Worthen, hundred of Lower Chirbury, county Salop, 11 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Rea, near the Stipperstones. There are also several old seats of this name, one in the same county near Oswestry, another near Sidmouth, in county Devon, where Sir Walter Raleigh was born, and a third in county Stafford, near Stone."
  • " HOPE, a township in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 8 miles N. of Bishop's Castle."
  • " LEIGH, a township in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 12 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " MEADOWTOWN, a township in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 8 miles N. of Bishop's Castle."
  • " UPPER HEATH, (and Nether Heath) townships in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 10 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, on the river Rea, near the Stipper stones. In the vicinity are lead mines.
  • " WALTON, a township in the parish of Worthen, county Salop, 13 miles S. W. of Shrewsbury."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Worthen to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

Townships/Chapelries

LEIGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Welshpool, containing 213 inhabitants. The river Severn is crossed here by a wooden bridge, on the road from Churchstoke to Welshpool ; and Offa's Dyke passes nearly in a parallel line with that river through the township. This is one of several parishes and townships incorporated for the support of their poor in the house of industry at Forden,; the average annual assessment for this township is £81. 8. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833) 

RHOSGOCH (RHOS-GOCH), a township forming a part of the chapelry of Wolston, in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (E.) from Welshpool, containing 59 inhabitants. It forms a part of the Long Mountain, on the border of Shropshire, in which county the greater portion of the parish is situated. The poor are maintained by a separate assessment, the average annual expenditure amounting to £26. 14. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

TRELYSTAN (TRE-ELYSTAN), a township forming part of the chapelry of Wolston, or Weston-ny-End, in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 3/4, miles (S. E.) from Welshpool, containing 106 inhabitants. This township is situated nearly at the southern extremity of the Long Mountain, on the border of Shropshire, and, with the township of Rhosgoch, forms the entire chapelry of Weston-ny-End, which is attached to the rectory of Worthen, in Shropshire, in which county the principal part of the parish is included. It forms one of several parishes and townships which are incorporated, by an act of parliament, for the support of their poor in the house of industry at Forden, its average annual expenditure for this purpose amounting to £45. 5. (A Topographical Dictionary of Walesby Samuel Lewis, 1833)

WOLSTON, or WESTON-NY-END, a chapelry in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, containing 165 inhabitants. This place is sometimes also called Stony-end, from its comprising a long and not very productive eminence, on the border of Shropshire. It is composed of the two townships of Trelystan and Rhosgoch. The chapel, which is situated at Trelystan, is dependent on the mother church of Worthen.

You can see the administrative areas in which Worthen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup