"WROXETER, a parish in the Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, county Salop, 6.1 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury. The parish, which is bounded on the W. by the Severn, comprises the townships of Donnington, Dryton, Eyton, Norton, and Rushton. The soil is generally a rich loam, alternated with gravel, and the substratum contains coal, which is partially worked. The village appears once to have been a place of importance, and takes its name from an ancient British town called Caer Vrauch, and by the Saxons Wrekinceastre, from its situation near the Wrekin mountain. It is the Uriconium of Antoninus, and the Viriconiurn of Ptolemy, an important Roman station on the north-eastern bank of the Severn, at Wroxeter Ford, where the Roman way Watling Street crossed the river, and near which may be seen at low water huge blocks of stone, supposed to have once formed a bridge. The remains which still exist show that the city walls were 9 feet in thickness, and extended for 3 miles in circumference, surrounded by a rampart and fosse; it flourished for a considerable time as the capital of the Cornavii, but was devastated by the Saxons and Danes. In 1752 several Roman inscriptions, now preserved at Shrewsbury, were found here, also urns, a seal, and silver coins of Vespasian, Antoninus, Trajan, and later emperors; and important excavations have been going on for some years, under the direction of Thomas Wright, Esq., who has published a "Guide to Uriconium." The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains monuments to Chief Justice Bromley and the Newport family. There is a free grammar school, situated at Donnington, in this parish, founded by Thomas Alcock in 1627, and presented by Mrs. Careswell with two exhibitions at Christ Church College, Oxford. The charities produce about £58 per annum, including the school endowment. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor and patron of the living, and Lord Berwick has a large property in the parish."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Wroxeter provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Wroxeter parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Wroxeter parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Wroxeter parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " DONNINGTON, a township in the parish of Wroxeter, in the county of Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Wellington."
- " DRYTON, a township in the parish of Wroxeter, in the county of Salop, 7 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Severn."
- " EYTON, a township in the parish of Wroxeter, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Much-Wenlock. It is situated near the banks of the Severn."
- " RUSHTON, a township in the parish of Wroxeter, county Salop, 3 miles S.W. of Wellington."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wroxeter to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wroxeter has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ564082 (Lat/Lon: 52.669745, -2.646188), Wroxeter which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)