"BARSHAM, a parish in the hundred and union of Wangford, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles to the W. of Beccles, and 4 miles E. of Bungay, its post town. It is situated in the vale on the south bank of the river Waveney. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £531, in the patronage of the Rev. A. J. Suckling, whose family have held the manor for a long period. The church, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an antique structure, with thatched roof and round tower. It contains a monumental brass of the year 1380. The rectory house is a fine old mansion, standing near the church and surrounded by 82 acres of glebe. It was once the residence of the Rev. Alfred Suckling, LL. B., author of the "History and Antiquities of Suffolk." It was here that Miss Suckling, the mother of the renowned admiral, Lord Nelson, was born. Lawrence Echard, the historian and antiquary, was also a native of this village."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barsham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barsham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM399894 (Lat/Lon: 52.450075, 1.528366), Barsham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)