"BARTON-MILLS, (or Little Barton), a parish in the hundred of Lackford, in the county of Suffolk, 1 mile S.E. from Mildenhall, its post town, and 8 E. from Newmarket. The village is small, but there are several corn mills worked by steam and water, gunflint making, and agate powder grinding mills, besides several neat villa residences. It is situate near the border of Cambridgeshire, in a pleasant district on the banks of the river Larke, which joins the Ouse near Ely. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £520, in the gift of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an old stone building, and was thoroughly repaired in 1840. It contains an antique font, and a curiously carved oak pulpit. The register dates from the year 1663. There is a chapel belonging to the Baptists, erected in 1844, and a National school, built in 1845. The parochial charities amount to £14 a year. Barton Place is the principal seat. The Rev. Charles Jenkins, D.D., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton Mills to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barton Mills has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL719727 (Lat/Lon: 52.325507, 0.521612), Barton Mills which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)