"BARTON-MILLS, (or Little Barton), a parish in the hundred of Lackford, in the county of Suffolk, 1 mile S.E. from Mildenhall, its post town, and 8 E. from Newmarket. The village is small, but there are several corn mills worked by steam and water, gunflint making, and agate powder grinding mills, besides several neat villa residences. It is situate near the border of Cambridgeshire, in a pleasant district on the banks of the river Larke, which joins the Ouse near Ely. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £520, in the gift of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an old stone building, and was thoroughly repaired in 1840. It contains an antique font, and a curiously carved oak pulpit. The register dates from the year 1663. There is a chapel belonging to the Baptists, erected in 1844, and a National school, built in 1845. The parochial charities amount to £14 a year. Barton Place is the principal seat. The Rev. Charles Jenkins, D.D., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)