"BAWDSEY, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, in the county of Suffolk, 9 miles from Woodbridge, its post town, and 12 miles to the S.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on the coast of the North Sea, at the mouth of the river Deben, there named Bawdsey Haven, which offers good anchorage for small craft. The coast is protected by two martello towers. Bawdsey was formerly a market town, under a grant obtained in the reign of Edward I. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £193, in the gift of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was a fine old structure, in the early Saxon style, and its tower served from the most remote times as a well-known sea-mark; but in 1842 it was burned down, and the stone tower has since been reduced to 60 feet in height. The new church is a small but elegant building, quite sufficient for the wants of the inhabitants, who are entirely agricultural. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village. The chief residence is Bawdsey Hall, seated on the cliffs, which are celebrated for their geological and fossil specimens. There is a ferry across to Felixstow, and thence to Harwich."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bawdsey to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bawdsey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM349403 (Lat/Lon: 52.011665, 1.421673), Bawdsey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)