National Gazetteer, 1868
Belton - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BELTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles to the S.W. of Yarmouth, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Lowestoft. It is situated near the coast, on the east bank of the river Waveney, and is a station on the East Suffolk railway. Brownston is a hamlet of this parish The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £362, in the patronage of the bishop. The tithes are commuted for a rent charge of £440 per annum, with residence and 17 acres of glebe land. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an old building with round tower, which latter was rebuilt in 1849, when the church was repaired. The register dates from the year 1560. There is a National school, and charitable endowments producing £19 per annum. Near the village is Belton Hall. The parish has an area of about 2,059 acres, 674 of which are marsh lands. Sir Samuel Morton Pete, Bart., is lord of the manor."
"BROWSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Belton, hundred of Mutford, in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles to the S. of Yarmouth. It is seated near the sea-coast and the river Waveney."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)