"BOXFORD, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, extending also into the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the W. of the market town of Hadleigh. Colchester is its post town. It is situated in a pleasant valley, watered by two small streams, and contains the hamlet of Hadleigh. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £710, in the patronage of the crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is a free grammar school, founded by Queen Elizabeth, which has an income from endowment of £33 a year. The parish has the benefit of several other charities, producing about £60 per annum. Fairs are held in the village on Easter Monday and the 21st December."
"HADLEIGH, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Boxford, hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Hadleigh, and 11 W. of Ipswich."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- The transcription of the section for Boxford from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Boxford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Boxford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL962407 (Lat/Lon: 52.029957, 0.858028), Boxford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)