"BROCKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S. of Bury St. Edmund's. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £458, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Sprigge, incumbent. The tithes were commuted for an annual rent-charge of £463 in 1846, When a new rectory-house was built. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone building, containing a fine painting of Christ and the Doctors in the Temple. The register is very ancient. The Baptists have a neat chapel. There is an endowment for a school, and several charities, amounting in the aggregate to about £50 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brockley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Brockley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL822556 (Lat/Lon: 52.169008, 0.662184), Brockley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)