"ST. MARY CAPEL, a parish in the hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the S.E. of Hadleigh, 7 S.W. of Ipswich, and 64¾ from London. It is a station on the Hadleigh branch of the Great Eastern and Eastern Union railway. It is situated in a sheltered spot on a branch of the river Stour. The living is a rectory with that of Little Wenham consolidated, in the diocese of Norwich, value £682, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Tweed. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat building with a tower, which was formerly surmounted by a spire, but the latter was taken down in 1818. The register dates from the year 1532. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for a yearly modus of £528. It comprises three manors.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)