"CHELMONDISTON, a parish in the hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles S.E. of Ipswich, its post town. It is situated on the river Orwell, near its mouth. The Great Eastern railway passes within 4 miles of the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £347, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice. The register is modern, 1727 being its earliest date. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels, and there is a National school. A trade is carried on in septaria for Roman cement, which is dredged out of the sea off Harwich. J. Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chelmondiston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chelmondiston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM207373 (Lat/Lon: 51.990033, 1.213737), Chelmondiston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)