"CLOPTON, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, in the county of Suffolk, 3½ miles N.W. of Woodbridge, and 6 N.E. of Ipswich. There is a small tract of common. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £720, in the patronage of Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient structure. The charities amount to £34 per annum, chiefly derived from the rent of the town-lands. Fossil remains, in large quantities, are found in the sand-pits."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clopton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clopton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM224546 (Lat/Lon: 52.144678, 1.249137), Clopton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)