"COCKFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 5½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's and 8 W. of Stowmarket. It contains the hamlets of Windsor Green, Cross Green, Chester Green, Old Hall Green, Button Green, Parsonage Green, Stow's Hill, Earl's Court, and Great Cockfield Green. The manor formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, and was afterwards held by the De Veres, earls of Oxford, who resided at Earl's Court. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £635, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an old flint structure in the perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and tower, and contains a beautiful monument to the Harveys. The charities amount to £9 per annum.* Here is a chapel for the Independents and a National school. The Messrs. Manning are lords of the manor. Cockfield Hall was the seat of the Brookes."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|Chapel, Cockfield, Independent|
|Cemetery, Cockfield, Cemetery|
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cockfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cockfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL908544 (Lat/Lon: 52.155052, 0.788355), Cockfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)