"COMBS, a parish in the hundred of Stow, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles from Needham Market and 1½ S. of Stowmarket. It is situated on the river Orwell. There is a large tannery where a great number of men are employed. The parish is divided into two manors, Bevants and Combs; the Rev. R. Daniel is lord of the former, and the Earl of Ashburnham of the latter. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Norwich, value £880, in the patronage of the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Combs to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Combs has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM038562 (Lat/Lon: 52.166381, 0.977885), Combs which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)