"ERISWELL, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N. of Mildenhall, its post town, and 42 S. of the Lakenheath station on the Great Eastern line. To the E. of this parish are the extensive rabbit warrens of Lakenheath. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £519. The church is an ancient structure, with a thatched roof and tower. It is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains a font and register chest, bearing date 1630. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is an endowed school. The land is chiefly owned by the New England Company and the Society for the Spread of the Gospel in America."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eriswell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eriswell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL753785 (Lat/Lon: 52.376844, 0.573979), Eriswell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)