"FARNHAM, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Saxmundham, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Woodbridge. The Wickham Market station on the Great Eastern line is nearly 3 miles S.W. of the village, which is very small. Sand is obtained here in large quantities. The river Alde flows past the parish on the W. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Norwich, value £78. The church is a Norman structure, with flint tower, and is dedicated to St. Mary. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge. William Long, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Farnham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Farnham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM371590 (Lat/Lon: 52.178273, 1.46689), Farnham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)