"FLOWTON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Hadleigh, and 6 N.W. of Ipswich, its post town. The Bramford station on the Great Eastern line is about 3 miles S.E. of the village. The parish is of small extent, and the village wholly agricultural. The lying is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £140. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1572. There are some small charities for the poor. Flowton Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Flowton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Flowton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM079465 (Lat/Lon: 52.077632, 1.031943), Flowton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)