Fornham St Martin
"FORNHAM ST. MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1 mile to the N. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It is situated on the river Lark, which is here navigable. The road from Bury to Thetford passes through the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £305. The church is a substantial structure, and has a peal of six bells. The charities yield a yearly income of about £5. There is a free school for both sexes. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1817."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fornham St Martin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fornham St Martin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL861670 (Lat/Lon: 52.269286, 0.726428), Fornham St Martin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)