" GIPPING, a hamlet-chapelry in Stowmarket parish, Suffolk; on a headstream of the Gipping, 2¼ miles ENE of Haughley Junction r. station, and 4 NNE of Stowmarket. Post town, Old Newton, under Stowmarket. Acres, 1, 144. Real property, £2,910. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. Gipping Hall is the seat of Tyrrell, Esq. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, Tyrrell, Esq."
From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72).