" GIPPING, a hamlet-chapelry in Stowmarket parish, Suffolk; on a headstream of the Gipping, 2¼ miles ENE of Haughley Junction r. station, and 4 NNE of Stowmarket. Post town, Old Newton, under Stowmarket. Acres, 1, 144. Real property, £2,910. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. Gipping Hall is the seat of Tyrrell, Esq. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, Tyrrell, Esq."
From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72).
For general information on the England Census see our English Census page.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gipping to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gipping has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM077631 (Lat/Lon: 52.226588, 1.040354), Gipping which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)