"GISLEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 7 S.E. of Beccles. It lies near the coast of the North Sea. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of .£410. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £331, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is of ancient date, and has a circular tower surmounted by a steeple of hexagonal form. The roof is partly thatched. The register commences in 1559. The charities consist of the rent of a few acres of land, distributed to the poor in fuel. There is a parochial school. F. W. Irhy, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)