"GISLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.W. of Eye, its post town. The Finningham station, on the Great Eastern line of railway, is about 2 miles S. of the village. The hamlet of Rush Green is included in this parish The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £635. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £503. Tho church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient Norman edifice with a Gothic porch and brick tower. The parochial charities, arising chiefly from land, produce about £80 per annum, and are applied to the church, school, and relief of the poor.' There is a Wesleyan chapel and a free school. Lord Henniker and others are lords of the several manors."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)