"GORLESTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S. of Yarmouth, its post town. It is situated in the north-eastern extremity of the county, at the mouth of the river Yare, which is here crossed by a bridge. The parish includes the village of Little Yarmouth, forming a suburb of the borough of Great Yarmouth. Part of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. Near the village is a column to Lord Nelson. Several handsome terraces have recently been erected for the accommodation of visitors resorting here for the sea-bathing. The houses command a fine view of the river and sea. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £243 17s., and the vicarial for £214 15s. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory* of South Town and West Town, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is a large ancient structure dedicated to St. Andrew. The steeple, which served as a landmark for vessels passing through Yarmouth Roads, was blown down in 1835. There is also a chapel-of-ease at South Town, dedicated to St. Mary. It contains a brass of a knight of the early part of the 14th century. An Augustine monastery stood here temp. Edward I., and in 1372 there was a leper hospital. There are ruins of an ancient church, and near the sea-shore is the racecourse."
"NEST TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, county Suffolk, near Yarmouth."
"SOUTH-TOWN, (or Little Yarmouth), a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, county Suffolk, 1 mile from Yarmouth, its post town, and 9 miles from Lowestoft. It is situated on the river Yare, opposite Yarmouth, of which it constitutes a large suburb. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries and in shipbuilding. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Gorleston, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is in ruins.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|St Andrew, Gorleston, Church of England|
|St Mary Magdalen Church, Gorleston, Church of England|
|St Mary, Gorleston, Church of England|
|United Reformed, Gorleston, Congregational|
|St Peter the Apostle(Church Ln), Gorleston, Roman Catholic|
|St Peter the Apostle, Gorleston, Roman Catholic|
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- The transcription of the section for Gorleston from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gorleston to another place.
Historically the town of Gorleston was in the county of Suffolk. In 1832, the town became a part of Great Yarmouth for electoral purposes. Finally in 1835 the town of Gorleston merged with the town of Great Yarmouth in the county of NORFOLK.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gorleston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG521039 (Lat/Lon: 52.574253, 1.718703), Gorleston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)