Great and Little Whelnetham
"GREAT and LITTLE WHELNETHAM, two adjoining parishes in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's. There appears to have been a Roman colony, from the number of antiquities which have been dug up, and at Great Whelnetham was a priory of Crouched Friars, subordinate to the principal house of that order near the Tower of London. The village of Sicklesmere is situated on the borders of these two parishes. The livings are both rectories* in the diocese of Ely, the former value £405, and the latter £155. There is a parochial school for both sexes. A pleasure fair is held on Whit Monday. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor.
"SICKLESMERE, a hamlet in the parish of Great_and_Little Whelnetham, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- A description of Great and Little Whelnetham transcribed from Stephen Whatley's "Gazetteer of England" (1750) by Mel Lockie © 2011.
" WENHAM-GREAT and LITTLE, (Suffolk) or WELNETHAM, as it is called in the records, stands on the r. Breton, near St. Edmundsbury. At the former have been dug up a great many platters and potsherds of Roman earth, some of which had inscriptions on them, as also coals, urns, ashes, bones and horns of cattle, a sacrificing-knife, etc. Little-Wenham-Hall, which seems to have been a noble old building, was formerly the seat of the Bruce's family, and is now Mrs. Thurston's. "
- The transcription of the section for Great and Little Whelnetham from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great and Little Whelnetham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great and Little Whelnetham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL881591 (Lat/Lon: 52.197899, 0.751019), Great and Little Whelnetham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)