"GRUNDISBURGH, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Woodbridge, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on a tributary of the river Deben. The Bealings station on the Ipswich and Wickham Market branch of the Great Eastern line of railway is about 21 miles S. of the village, which is considerable. There are pits from which clays obtained. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £527 138. 4d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £472, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Mary, with a handsome roof. The register commences in the reign of Edward VI. The parochial endowments, including rental of cottages, and 28 acres of land called the "Town Estate," produce nearly £50 per annum. The Baptists have a good chapel. Grundisburgh Hall, the principal residence, was formerly the seat of the Blois family."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grundisburgh to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Grundisburgh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM217516 (Lat/Lon: 52.118492, 1.236348), Grundisburgh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)