"GUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 8 S. of Yarmouth. It is situated on the sea-coast, and has a fine view over the German Ocean. The village is very small. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 1145. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £149. The church, a small edifice with round tower, dedicated to St. Peter, was built in 1700. The two principal residences are the New and Old Halls."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gunton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gunton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM544957 (Lat/Lon: 52.499729, 1.746059), Gunton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)