"HARGRAVE, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The manor was formerly held by Bury Abbey, and afterwards came to the Kitsons and Gages. The soil is clayey and loamy, and the land chiefly arable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £188. The church is an ancient structure with tower of brick, of later date, containing three bells. The register commences in the middle of the 16th century. The charities produce about £22 per annum. There is a parochial school. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor."
"SOUTHWELL-PARK, a liberty in the parish of Hargrave, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)