"HELMINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 9 miles N.W. of Woodbridge, 9 N. of Ipswich, and 5 S. of Debenham. Stonham is its post town. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. This place has for many generations belonged to the ancient family of Tollemache. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £461, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower of flint, and was erected in the reign of Henry VI. The interior has sittings of carved oak, and some fine stained windows, with numerous tombs of the Tollemaches of Helmingham Hall. It was thoroughly restored in 1845 at the expense of John Tollemache, Esq., M.P. The charities produce £1 per annum. Here is a school, erected in 1853. Helmingham Hall, built in the reign of Henry VIII., and visited by Queen Elizabeth, is the seat of John Tollemache, Esq., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. It has been much improved of late years, at a considerable expense. The hall contains a choice collection of pictures, armour, &c. It is surrounded by a moat, in which are some wild fowl. The park contains many fine oaks, and is well stocked with deer."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Helmingham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Helmingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM185577 (Lat/Lon: 52.174691, 1.19442), Helmingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)