"HENSTEAD, a parish in the hundreds of Blything and Wangford, county Suffolk, 6½ miles S.E. of Beccles, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Wangford. It is a small village containing the hamlet of Hulver Street. There are several clay-pits in the parish. The road from London to Yarmouth passes through the eastern portion of it. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £411. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £423. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a thatched roof, and a square embattled tower containing one bell. The church has a Norman doorway. There is a parochial school for both sexes, erected in 1844 by the rector. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship at Hulver Street. The Rev. Thomas Sheriffe, M.A., is lord of the manor."
"HULVER STREET, a hamlet in the parish of Henstead, hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Beccles. The hamlet, which is small, contains a chapel for Wesleyans."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Henstead from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Henstead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Henstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM492859 (Lat/Lon: 52.414093, 1.662498), Henstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)