"HITCHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Bildeston, and 6 N.W. of Hadleigh. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the river Bret. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,150. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £865, in the patronage of the crown. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The charities produce £55 per annum. There are a National school and almshouses."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hitcham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hitcham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL987522 (Lat/Lon: 52.132374, 0.901995), Hitcham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)