" HOO, a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 3¾ miles WSW of Parham r. station, and 4 NW of Wickham-Market. Post town, Brandeston, under Wickham-Market. Acres, 1, 185. Real property, £1,817. Pop., 182. Houses, 25. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Letheringham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £110 * Patrons, Trustees. There is a national school."
From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72).
For general information on the England Census see our English Census page.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hoo to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hoo has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM252586 (Lat/Lon: 52.179876, 1.292481), Hoo which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)