Hopton All Saints
"HOPTON All Saints, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 8 miles S.E. of Thetford, 7 N.E. of Ixworth, and 6 S. of East Harling, its post town. The parish is bounded on the N.E. by the Lesser Ouse, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. There is a portion of fen land. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Bury to Norwich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £284, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square embattled tower, and was thoroughly repaired and repewed in 1830. The charities produce about £25, arising from the rents of the town lands. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Thomas Thornhill, Esq. is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|Cemetery, Hopton (Thetford), Cemetery|
|Chapel [now Methodist Church], Hopton (Thetford), Methodist|
|Chapel, Hopton (Thetford), Wesleyan Methodist|
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hopton All Saints to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hopton All Saints has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL988794 (Lat/Lon: 52.376337, 0.919775), Hopton All Saints which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)