Hopton St Margaret
"HOPTON St Margaret, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 4 miles N. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 5 S. of Yarmouth. The parish, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the coast of the North Sea, and comprises the hamlet of Brotherton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a thatched roofed structure, with a square tower containing one bell. The interior of the church contains a fine font. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. The register dates from 1675. There is a parochial school, and about a mile distant from the village is a chapel for Independents."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|St Margaret(remains), Hopton (Lowestoft), Church of England|
|St Margaret, Hopton (Lowestoft), Church of England|
|Chapel, Hopton (Lowestoft), Independent|
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hopton St Margaret to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hopton St Margaret has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG518004 (Lat/Lon: 52.543436, 1.712272), Hopton St Margaret which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)