"HOPTON St Margaret, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 4 miles N. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 5 S. of Yarmouth. The parish, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the coast of the North Sea, and comprises the hamlet of Brotherton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a thatched roofed structure, with a square tower containing one bell. The interior of the church contains a fine font. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. The register dates from 1675. There is a parochial school, and about a mile distant from the village is a chapel for Independents."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)