Ilketshall St John
"ILKETSHALL ST. JOHN, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S.E. of Bungay, its post town. The village is small, containing only a few scattered houses. The surface is flat, and the soil a stiff clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £217. The living isa rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £311, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a small ancient edifice with a square embattled tower. In the interior are several stained-glass windows. The register dates from 1538. R. D. French, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at the Hall, a brick mansion."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ilketshall St John to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ilketshall St John has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM363877 (Lat/Lon: 52.436469, 1.475515), Ilketshall St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)