"KENTFORD, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N.E. of Newmarket, and 1 from the Kennett railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Kennett, from which it derives its name. The road from Bury St. Edmund's passes through the parish, and a little to the E. may be traced the old Roman way Needham Street. The parish is wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £172 10s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £172, in the patronage of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient structure, with tower containing three bells. The register is of ancient date, but is much mutilated. There is a day school, also a few charities. The Rev. William Godfrey is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)