"KNODISHALL, (or Knodishall-cum-buxlow), a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S.E. of Saxmundham, and 4½ N.W. of Aldborough. Leiston is its post town. The village, which is small and scattered, is situated near the coast. It contains the separate parish of Buxlow. The soil is generally a rich loam, but towards the coast it is of a lighter nature. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Buxlow annexed, in the dioc, of Norwich, value £486. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient structure, with a flint tower containing one bell. In the interior is a brass to J. Jenny and wives, bearing date 1460. The register dates from 1566. About 1 mile from the church is the small village of Coldfair Green.
"BUXLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Knodishall, hundred of Blything, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles to the S.E. of Saxmundham. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Knodishall, in the diocese of Norwich. The church was dedicated to St. Peter, and has long been in ruins."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Knodishall from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Knodishall to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Knodishall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM422621 (Lat/Lon: 52.203894, 1.542852), Knodishall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)