"LANGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Ixworth, its post town, and 4 N. of the Elmswell railway station. It is a small village, and the land is chiefly arable. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. Langham Hall is a fine old seat. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £252. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £221, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated within the grounds of the Hall. The nave is separated from the chancel by a carved screen. The parochial charities produce about £27 per annum, besides 10 acres of land let out in small allotments. Henry Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor. There is a National school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)