"LINSTEAD MAGNA, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 5 miles W. of Halesworth, its railway station and post town. The village, which is small, is entirely agricultural. A portion of the land is in pasture. The soil is clay. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £315, and the ministerial for £82. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £97. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Linstead Magna to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Linstead Magna has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM315767 (Lat/Lon: 52.339531, 1.397538), Linstead Magna which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)