"LOUND, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 6½ S.W. of Yarmouth. It is situated on the coast of the German Ocean. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in fishing and agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £437, besides a glebe of 22 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £458. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It has recently been restored, and has a good E. window. It contains a carved stone font, of octagonal form. The charities produce about £34 per annum, distributed to the poor in fuel. The register commences in 1695. There is a parochial school. Sir S. M. Peto, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lound to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lound has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM512995 (Lat/Lon: 52.535336, 1.703056), Lound which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)