"MELLIS, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 3 miles W. of Eye, its nearest money-order office. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. The parish, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £345. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £232, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower of recent erection, in lieu of the old one, which fell down. There are several monuments to the Clarke family. The register dates from 1528. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mellis to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mellis has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM095745 (Lat/Lon: 52.328701, 1.072755), Mellis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)