"MENDHAM, a parish chiefly in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, but partly also in the hundred of Earsham, county Norfolk, 2 miles S.E. of Harleston railway station, its post town. The parish of Needham, in Norfolk, was originally a hamlet or chapelry to this parish, but is now entirely distinct both for civil and ecclesiastical purposes. The village, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Waveney. At Bruninghurst Farm are the ruins of a Cluniac priory cell to Castle-Acre, founded by William de Huntingfield, in the reign of Stephen. It subsisted till the Dissolution, when the site was granted to' Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440, and the vicarial for £50. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £122. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The tithes were commuted in 1841. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The parish consist of three manors, viz: Walsham Hall, Mendham King's Hall, and the Priory. Sir Shafto Adair, Bart., is lord of the last two, and W. S. Holmes, Esq., of the former."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mendham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mendham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM270830 (Lat/Lon: 52.397911, 1.335219), Mendham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)