"MIDDLETON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Saxmundham, and 2 E. by S. of Yoxford, its post town. The village, which is situated on the river Badingham, is wholly agricultural. The tithes, which were wholly appropriated to Leiston Abbey, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £373 17s. 6d. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Fordley, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has a thatched roof and spired tower, containing five bells. The interior of the church contains two brasses, bearing dates from 1510. The parochial charities produce about £3 9s. per annum. There is a church school and a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
"FORDLEY, a quondam parish in the parish of Middleton, in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, now united with Middleton, 4 miles E. of Saxmundham. The living is a discharged rectory united to that of Middleton. The church, which stood in Middleton churchyard, has long since fallen to ruins."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Middleton from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Middleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM421673 (Lat/Lon: 52.250273, 1.546017), Middleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)