"MUTFORD, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Beccles, its post town, and 5½ S.W. of Lowestoft. It is a station on the Lowestoft branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Lothing Creek, and near the line of the Norfolk railway. It is chiefly agricultural. The soil is fertile, and the land well cultivated. The living is a discharged vicarage annexed to the rectory of Barnby, in the diocese of Norwich, joint value £660, in the patronage of Caius College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a circular tower surmounted by an octangular turret, containing three bells. The register dates from 1540. The parochial charities produce about £15 10s. per annum. There is an endowed parochial school, and a place of worship for the Wesleyans. Sir Samuel Morton Peto, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)