National Gazetteer, 1868
Nayland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NAYLAND, (or Neyland), a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 5 miles E. of the Bures railway station, 6 N. by W. of Colchester, and 13 S.W. of Ipswich. It is situated in a fertile valley at the bridge over the navigable river Stour, and was formerly a market town. The village, which is considerable, consists of several streets, the principal of which contains some good modern houses. The manor anciently belonged to Hubert de Burgh and the Scroops, and gave title of baron to the Westons. A brisk trade is carried on in corn, coal, and timber. There is a silk mill, established in 1838 for the purpose of winding and drawing silk, also several malting establishments, a brewery, and three large flour mills. A court-leet is held on Easter Monday, at which the steward of the manor presides.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220, and the incumbent's for £50 10s. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £139. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains five doubled canopied and other brasses, bearing date from 1430; also a good painting of our Saviour, and several ancient marble monuments. The parochial charities produce about £200 per annum, chiefly arising from land, which is appropriated for the benefit of the clergyman and various charitable purposes. There are British and National schools for both sexes. The Independents have a place of worship.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)