"NETTLESTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 2½ miles W. of Claydon railway station, and 6 N.W. of Ipswich, its post town. The village, which is inconsiderable, is wholly agricultural. The manor was formerly held by the earls of Richmond, Peter de Savoy, the Tiptofts, Despencers, and Wentworths, who had a seat here, and who took hence the title of baron. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £193 10s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £192. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It has a brass of a knight in armour. The register dates from 1618. Nettlestead Hall has an ancient gateway bearing the quarterings of the Wentworth family, to whom it once belonged. The mansion has been modernised and new fronted."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)