"ONEHOUSE, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, its railway station and post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The Stow union poorhouse is situated in this parish. The soil consists of a stiff clay. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £246. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a small flint, stone, and brick structure, with a round tower containing one bell. The chancel was rebuilt at the beginning of the present century. There is a village school. Robert John Pettiward, Esq., of Finborough Hall, is lord of the manor. The hall, which is partly moated, belonged in the reign of Edward III. to Bartholomew Burghersh, one of the knights appointed to attend on the Black Prince at the battle of Crecy."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)