"PALGRAVE, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 1 mile S. of Diss, its railway station and post town, and 4 miles N.W. of Eye. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Botesdale to Diss, near the river Waveney, and is wholly agricultural. There was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and belonging to Bury Abbey. The S. part of the parish is traversed by the road from London to Norwich by way of Bury. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440, and the glebe comprises 4 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £440. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tombs of Thomas Martin, the antiquary, and of the Harrison family. The register dates from 1560. The parochial charities produce about £62 per annum, realised from the town estates. There is a free school, also an infant school. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Palgrave to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Palgrave has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM114780 (Lat/Lon: 52.35922, 1.102495), Palgrave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)