"ROUGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 1½ mile S. of Thurston railway station on the Bury and Ipswich branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is large but irregularly built, is chiefly agricultural. Rougham was given by Ulfketel, the Saxon, to the abbots of Bury St. Edmund's, and by Henry VII. to the Drurys. The soil is of a loamy and sandy nature, upon a subsoil of gravel and clay. The Suffolk hounds meet in this parish. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1813. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £756. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of Sir R. Drury, bearing date 1405, also other tombs. The register dates from the middle of the 16th century. The parochial charities produce about £150 per annum, £47 of which goes to Edward Sparke's school, founded in 1720. The Baptists have a place of worship. Rougham Hall, the principal residence, has two lofty towers at the E. and W. wings. It is situated in a park celebrated for its oaks."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rougham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rougham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL903626 (Lat/Lon: 52.22908, 0.784841), Rougham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)