Rushmere St Michael
"RUSHMERE, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 5½ S.W. of Wangford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a sequestered valley. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Sandpits exist in the neighbourhood. The land is divided between arable and pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £210, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The living is a rectory* in-the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, or to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a thatched roof and a round tower containing two bells. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1719. There is a parochial school for both sexes entirely supported by the rector."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- The transcription of the section for Rushmere from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rushmere St Michael to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rushmere St Michael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM496878 (Lat/Lon: 52.430922, 1.669664), Rushmere St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)